Tuesday 25 June 2013

Thirst no.5 (The Sacred Veil) by Christopher Pike

Thirst No. 5: The Sacred Veil (Thirst, #5)Title: The Sacred Veil
Author: Christopher Pike
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Blurb: In her five thousand years as a vampire, Alisa - or Sita, as she was originally called - has experienced the equivalent of fifty lifetimes. Every moment of her immortal life is seared deep into her being. Every person she has loved, every victim she has killed - their faces are forever part of her.

Yet, strangely, a handful of memories have been lost to Alisa. As she and her friends embark on a search for the location of a sacred artifact - an ancient veil that may hold the key to mankind's salvation - Alisa soon realizes that her own mind may be her greatest enemy.

The memories she is blocking deal with the most horrifying period in mankind's history, a time when she was tortured by a madman responsible for the deaths of millions. But what information did her torture yield?

Review:
Being the fifth book in a series I read a while ago, I was reluctant to pick It up. I couldn't remember much from the first four books, and when I saw this one, I looked over it. Then, just a few weeks ago, I decided to give this book a go because I had enjoyed the first four books, and I absolutely love Christopher Pike's style of writing. It is very professional. Let me begin by saying that I quickly got into the Sacred Veil, and the pace was perfectly set-not too fast, not too slow.

The characters were the same from the previous books, and some new ones were introduced. Aside from the main characters-Sita, Seymour, and Matt-I really felt with the minor characters, and I think this is a result of Pike's very realistic settings and events. He did an amazing job conveying the emotions and feelings our characters went through.

Other things I loved about The Sacred Veil-more like all of the books-were the ideas. I mean, the idea of different worlds and multi-billion organisations that were demonic-all of it was really fascinating. I absolutely love this about his books, especially the idea of beings called the Tellar, and the crazy strong children in the cradle. Just fascinating.

And now, for the ending (no spoilers). Pike decided to throw a cliff-hanger, a major one, and a cliff-hanger involving my favourite two characters! I suppose it's a good thing we can improvise on our own, but I still wish I knew how it would all end...

In all, the book was beautifully written, had a good pace, and had me hooked until the end. Give the series a try if you haven't already!

No comments:

Post a Comment