Sunday 5 January 2014

The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider

The Beginning of EverythingTitle: The Beginning for Everything
Author: Robyn Schneider
Publisher: Katherine Tegen/Imprint of HarperCollins
My Rating: 3.5 stars
Blurb:Golden boy Ezra Faulkner believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them—a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. His particular tragedy waited until he was primed to lose it all: in one spectacular night, a reckless driver shatters Ezra’s knee, his athletic career, and his social life.

No longer a front-runner for Homecoming King, Ezra finds himself at the table of misfits, where he encounters new girl Cassidy Thorpe. Cassidy is unlike anyone Ezra’s ever met, achingly effortless, fiercely intelligent, and determined to bring Ezra along on her endless adventures. (More)
My Review:
After having read many dystopian and fantasy novels, I felt relieved when I sat down with The Beginning of Everything. I just needed something sweet and normal; a light read that was anything but my usual genre. To my delight, this book gave me just that, and it even threw in a surprise ending.

Ezra Faulkner is high on the plateau of social status at his high. He is a popular jock who has everything, until his own personal tragedy makes him realize that he, in fact, had nothing. The readers are made to embark on a journey of self discovery, of what it means to more than just exist in the world.

Right from the start I was getting a nice vibe from our protagonist. His tone was distinct from the usual in a chick lit, and his character was nicely built. I could really connect with him, and I felt myself rooting for him from the very start. When Cassidy Thorpe, the protagonist’s crush walked into the picture, I started predicting how the plot would unravel, which was a bit of a downer. You know, a typical boy falls for girl novel. But of course it wasn’t that. There was a mystery about the new girl and I just couldn’t seem to put a finger on what the issue could possibly be.

The writing itself was flawless. I loved the pace and the descriptions, and oh, the use of the Panopticon analogy was simply genius. A Panopticon is a building where a watchman can observe all of the inmates without their knowledge. The idea is that nobody can step out of line in fear that they may be watched. This idea was related to the world Ezra lives in. Great isn’t it?

Nicely paced and well written, the Beginning of Everything was a breath of fresh air. I especially loved the ending. Things didn’t wrap up as I had expected, and for that I was surprisingly glad. The book truly portrays what it means to go beyond existing by the expectations, and into actually living.   

No comments:

Post a Comment